The Chopped judge and chef of Masso Osteria in Las Vegas fills is pizza roll with "delectable goodness."
The Chopped judge and chef of Masso Osteria in Las Vegas fills is pizza roll with “delectable goodness.”
Scott Conant’s Kale & Broccoli Rabe Stromboli
27 oz. fresh prepared pizza dough (from a 2-lb. pizza dough)
12 oz. broccoli rabe
8 oz. baby kale (about 10 cups)
1 cup chopped fresh basil
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
1½ tsp. flaky sea salt, divided
½ tsp. crushed red pepper, divided
All-purpose flour, for work surface
12 oz. provolone cheese, sliced
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Place pizza dough on a work surface; cover with plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add broccoli rabe; boil until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl filled with ice water. Add kale to pot; boil 1 minute. Transfer to bowl with ice water. Let greens remain submerged until cold, about 5 minutes. Drain and finely chop.
3. Toss together broccoli rabe, kale, basil, garlic, olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon red pepper in a bowl.
4. Uncover dough; roll into an 18×15-inch oval on a lightly floured work surface. Arrange cheese in 2 rows down center lengthwise of rolled dough, leaving a 4-inch border on sides and a 1-inch border at ends. Arrange broccoli rabe mixture evenly over cheese. Bring edges of dough up and over filling; pinch together side seams and ends of dough. Place seam-side down on a large baking sheet. Brush top, sides and ends of stromboli with olive oil. Sprinkle with rosemary, remaining ½ teaspoon salt and remaining ¼ teaspoon red pepper. Cut 5 (1-inch) slits on top.
5. Bake in preheated oven until stromboli is well browned and bubbling, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve immediately.
Serves: 4 to 6
Active time: 35 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Quick Tip: If you don’t have broccoli rabe, double the amount of kale in the recipe—or swap it for spinach or Swiss chard.
Want the ultimate dish on the latest celebrity food news, plus exclusive recipes, videos and more? Click here to subscribe to the People Food newsletter.